Made with the king of superfoods kale, with all the classic flavours of basil pesto and the addition of sundried tomatoes and toasted almonds, this is the ultimate sauce for pizza, pasta, vegetables, or even just generously smeared on baguette with just a crumble or two of feta. Perfection.
Kale & Sundried Tomato Pesto
- 8 sundried tomatoes (pre-soaked in hot water for about 5 minutes)
- 4 cloves garlic (if you’re timid, start with 2)
- 1/2 cup torn basil leaves (smallish handful)
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- fresh black pepper
- 1 1/4-1 3/4 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups tightly packed torn kale leaves
- In a high-speed blender combine all ingredients except for the olive oil and about half of the kale.
- With the motor running add olive oil reserving about a half a cup or so
- Continue adding the remaining kale, adding more olive oil as needed to create a smooth sauce
- If you prefer a looser pesto simply add more olive oil, likewise, if you prefer more of a paste add less.
*Tip: Stop the blender every 15-20 seconds and scrape/push down the ingredients to achieve results more quickly. Kale is pretty fibrous so don’t be surprised if it is a little stubborn.
I must admit the colour of this sauce is not the most beautiful shade of green, as the sundried tomatoes have a way of muddying the vibrancy of the kale and herbs. That said the flavours are phenomenal.